Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I'm going to be who I am, but a better me............

Hola nos familias!
Today was day two of our work project. We cleaned the sinks at the secondary school, and continued with digging our hole for the new sink. There are so many kids that want to help us on site everyday. They have been divided into groups and we will be getting a new group each day to help us with our service projects. It is so amazing to all of us how excited and eager they are to work and learn from us! I know they are feeling the same excitement comming from us as well. Everyone has really been enjoying the presence of the children as well as the adults of the culture. Before dinner we assisted in the bilingual class held at the hacienda. (Which is optional for the children.) We started teaching prepositions to the kids, and ended class with a memory card game. (more details later) We also played a ball game which was super fun!! (will have video later!) we just finished with a reflexive "pow wow". It is very special for me to see our group uniting and really bringing our experiences together. We have all had our teachable moments to ourselves and others within and outside the group and I know it will continue to flourish. We had the chance tonight to really share our emotional experiences so far. Dee shared with us and from that we now have a quote which is unique to our group. "When I get home I am going to be who I am, but a better me." We are starting to really feel our apreciation for the diversity of the spanish language and how languages can unite the world! I am really seeing each of us open up in our own ways. It touches my heart to know that we are making friends that will last a lifetime, and cherishing the moments we have as they come. I know that all of our families will be getting a changed individual back. It will be in a way that is wiser and bigger than the individual who left. Just wait!!!! ;) We love you and miss you all! Thank you for all your support! Keep posting comments, we love to read them!! -Erica

2 comments:

Leigh Anne said...

Oh honey, it’s so wonderful to read your postings. It sounds like the group is making a big difference in the lives of the Nicaraguans and also individually. You have always been amazing with children and I bet they all love you!! Each day I look forward to reading more about your adventures and discoveries. I have been sharing your postings with my co-workers and at the beginning of each day they ask to hear more. I have no doubt that all of you will be changed due to this experience. I love you and miss you! ~ Love, MOM

Dee said...

My dear Miss Erica - how wonderful to read your messages and see the pictures of all of you and your surroundings. Everyone looks so happy with smiles that speak volumes. I'm not sure I understand exactly what the "sink project" entails but it doesn't appear to be an easy job. Continue the good works and take good care of yourselves. Love and blessings to all of you. Erica's Gma.